It's the only one we got folks


So today is earth day! if you'll allow me a couple minutes, i'd appreciate it.

couple years ago, i made a commit to become aware of my carbon foot print. I didn't make a big deal about it, just started to try to introduce some more 'green' habits in my every day life. I'm not a tree hugger, but i do want my grandkids to enjoy the planet as i know it one day.....fresh air, food, trees, animals....

here are some simple things you can do to make every day Earth day:

-recycle. i was surprised to see that 80% or more of my everyday trash is recyclable.I put out recycling more than i do trash now. it;s like a game- how much trash a day i can keep out of the landfill.

-buy rechargeable batteries. it's a bit of a cost at first, but they have more than paid for themselves. I'm still using the same 8 AAs i bought 4 years ago...

-turn the faucet off while brushing your teeth, washing hair, etc. if your not using the water- turn it off! studies show that it could save up to 3000+ gallons a year per family!!

-stop using plastic grocery bags. i haven't carried one home in a LONG time. I have several now use them regulatory. They hold more ,so you won't need that many. They are even washable...PS if you DO use the plastic ones, recycle them!! I even have a folded up one i carry in my purse. Some shops even offer a discount with purchase if you use your own bag (maybe that's just quilt shops, tho *grin*).

-use bio-friendly cleaners. Most cleaning solutions are very toxic and get washed down the drain to end up back in the ground water. I use vinegar, peroxide, and natural plant based cleaners. I was surprised how well they clean! imagine- those chemicals are in your kitchen! NEXT TO YOUR FOOD!! *yuck*

-unplug those pesky appliances with that 'vampire' light that shows they are plugged in. That is electricity you are paying for, plus a resource that is not being used productively.

Now i know not everyone can do everything, but if EVERYONE changed one or two habits, we just might make a difference....If faced with the choice of a 'normal' way versus a 'green' way- even tho the green choice might be a bit more expensive or time consuming- it'll be worth it in the long haul, for everyone!

I know it's a clique, but i do like the quote: "we did not inherit the earth from our parents, we are borrowing it from our children"

so, do you do anything earthy? share it in the comments!!!
 

8 comments:

  1. These are some wonderful things...I just might have to acquire them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, hope we see a new post soon. Hope that all is well with you. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, in Houston I met someone that you know, we had a little talk about you... Hope your ears were not ringing... hugs from France...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes recycling is a good idea and I wonder why we all aren't recycling. Also, I just wanted you to know that you are one of those quilting artist that make me wonder why I even bother to sew! Your work is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes recycling is a good idea and I wonder why we all aren't recycling. Also, I just wanted you to know that you are one of those quilting artist that make me wonder why I even bother to sew! Your work is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Mr Benjamin on this topic. gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Mr Benjamin so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. With God willing they grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD. The loan request that my banks here in Ecuador have turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply for a loan from them.247officedept@gmail.com   WhatsApp    Contact:   +1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a job well done on the quilting! Wonderful and excellent effort! .






    Pay Someone To Do My Online Class

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for taking the time to comment, they feed my blog. i do my best to reply to each and every one! you can bet your comments are ALWAYS read and appreciated.