cutting bias binding

if you make quilts, binding is inevitable.
i use bias cut binding exclusively and took some pictures for a tute last time i made some.

so here is how i cut and make bias binding


here is a tutorial from way back on how i join the beginning and end of my bindings with a seam.


EDITED TO ADD:
two people left comments asking my opinion about difference/benefits between bias binding and straight grain..i don't think bias is 'better' but it does have some benefits over straight grain.here's my answer to thier comments:

i don't think bias is 'better' but it does have some benefits over straight grain.

i think bias lasts longer than straight grain because of the simple fact that since you cut bias on, well, the bias, the edge of the quilt has all the different threads of the weave cris-crossing. straight grain binding would have the same thread laying on the edge, so it could fray and break causing a small hole that would become a bigger hole- think the worn out knee of a pair of blue jeans- once it gets 'fuzzy' it's not long before the whole knee goes. i've seen vintage quilts where the patchwork is all worn and fabric is missing, but the bias binding is still perfect.

i also think that it is easier to sew to the quilt. i've tried straight grain a couple times (with and without a walking foot) and i always get puckers and pleats. plus if you don't get it perfectly cut on the straight of grain, when you go to wrap it to the back and hand stitch it down, it gets these weird little warpy wrinkles in it...bias doesn't do that since it's stretchy and it'll ease into itself...

plus i've noticed on my big bed quilts when you grab the edge and pull to cover yourself up, the straight grain binding doesn't 'give' and will break the stitches, where bias stretches...

i just prefer bias binding. i've gotten use to it and gives me the finshed look i want. also- i make alot of totes with bound edges and the bias works better for that application for the wear tote edges get.

some say they don't lke bias because it takes more yardage than cutting straight. it's only like an extra 1/4 yard or so and based on $10/yd that's only $2, so if you look at from the grand scope of things- you'll normally have over $200+ in fabric for the patchwork anyway, what's two more dollars ? :)

hope this helps with your decision to which you choose for your quilt. i'll be the first to stand and say that my way IS NOT the only way of doing things in quilting. i just want to share how i do things and the why so that maybe you'll be inspired or learn a (shall i say) easier way to do something....

4 comments:

  1. Shannon, aside from when you have curved edges on quilts, what is the benefit to bias binding over straight of grain cut binding? I have always wondered if bias binding is worth the extra yardage that is required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I've avoided it because it seemed so time-consuming...but I think that now I'll give it a try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your tutorial! I usually use straignt binding but am finding that I don't care for the way it looks anymore. Do you think bias is always better? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took me a few minutes with google to find where I read this info over the weekend.

    This morning I picked up a quilt I made several years ago. (straight of grain) Binding is in shreds all around. How disappointing! I had noticed my earliest quilts did that on the edge but thought it was because I had followed one of those early days "birthing a quilt" inside out methods.
    Now to figure out how to repair/replace binding?

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for taking the time to comment, they feed my blog. i do my best to reply to each and every one! you can bet your comments are ALWAYS read and appreciated.