swap blocks

i just finished sewing the blocks from this summer's swap into a flimsy. i made an extra block or two for a total of 25 blocks. the only problem with that is that i now have a square quilt (it measures 72"square) so i'm stopping at this point to contemplate adding a pieced flying goose strip to two opposite ends to give me a rectangle.. WWUD? (what would you do?)
i also wanted to share a picture with you. it shows what happens when your sewing machine needle gets dull or has a burr (from hitting a pin. yes, i sew over my pins- call the quilt police *grin*) instead of the needle sliding through the fabric, it pushes a thread down with the stitch revealing the non-printed parts of the weave. this can happen during piecing as well as during machine quilting.

if you notice your fabric is doing this- it simply means your needle is dull and it's time to change to a new one. 'they' say to change to a new needle at the start of every project, but if you're like me, you are working on multiple things at the same time...here's what i do: i wind 8 to 10 bobbins and when i empty all of them, i stop, blow out the dust bunnies, and change my needle.

6 comments:

  1. Now THAT is a really good tip! Thank you! =)

    I think the borders are a really good idea. I'd either do that or make another row of blocks, but if you want to keep the integrity of the swap blocks quilt concept the borders wouldn't muddy that as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this block that you used. Pretty quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That top is very nice. I think geese. For some reason, square quilts (for something other than a table topper) make me nuts. I just don't see them as very practical. That being said, I'm working on a square Christma one now. Go figure. Geese. Add geese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how to you plan to quilt it? I've had my top together for a bit now and still "looking at it" to figure out what to quilt. Maybe be lazy and just do an E2E. Will be curious to se what you do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally love a square quilt - that way, it can go in any direction - there is no 'up' or 'down' to it :) I'd add a border all the way around and keep it square :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Christmas quilt AND the swap blocks together'

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for taking the time to comment, they feed my blog. i do my best to reply to each and every one! you can bet your comments are ALWAYS read and appreciated.