Pinterest vs Creative Commons

photosource
there is alot of talk in blogland about pinterest and violation of copyrights. i wanted to address that as i think it suits my blog and pictures from my blog ONLY!

i can understand both sides of the fence, but i'm not naive.  i have always felt that once you post something publicly on the web, you lose the control of where it goes and who is doing what with it. i feel that once i post something on the web, it's really not mine anymore. if i don't want to share, then i don't post.

pinterest's terms of use state that you must have permission or own the rights to pin a picture. by pinning you agree to the terms of use. that's all here, if you want to go check it out for yourself.

i can understand how some artists would take pinterest pinning as a copyright infringement, but to me, quilting is a visual art and we share that passion by posting pictures of what we do in our blogs.  we are inspired by others' fabric combinations, we learn about new patterns, techniques, and books, and heck, we just like to look at pictures of pretty quilts. there is apparently a way to add a code in the html code of a page to disable the ability to pin, so if you want- you can do that. you can add a watermark to uploaded images so that they can not be stolen for use in stock photo sites (i choose to take really bad pictures that are not properly staged with horrible lighting :) )...if you are really serious about protecting your art, there are ways to do that.

i personally use pinterest as a source for all the cool stuff i find out on the web. it puts it in one spot where i can find everything. i use to have to save it all to my hard drive. now it's all in one place where it can be 'policed' by the owner and shared with others. what's so wrong with that?


so that being said- you have permission to pin anything from my blog!! PIN AWAY :) i feel it's a compliment to have someone pin pictures from my blog. my flying goose tutorial has been pinned and repinned many times.  i only ask that you do pin a picture properly so that the source link is my blog. there's nothing more annoying than seeing something on pinterest and wanted to find out more and it has been improperly pinned so the link source is wrong *grr*

11 comments:

  1. You can pin from me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too use Pinterest as a file cabinet of ideas I want to find later. I always make sure to link it back to the correct blog so I can find the tutorial or blog site I got it from. I hope I haven't made anyone made with my pinning. I never meant to steal anything. I wanted to share an idea I found with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen sista! I've noticed some 'flikr' pages are not allowing pins anymore, HUMPH! I love that I can keep 'pins' in one place to refer to later instead of bookmarks that have no pics to be inspired by.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always give the blog site in the comment box when I pin a quilt. I figure that is what I would want someone to do for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. soo agree with you too....and now i feel better too...thanks xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That being said, I hate repins. I always go to the original source and pin from there. How many of your repins have taken you to just a picture and not the source?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know those things about Pinterest. I didn't know not to repin. And I like Sandy's way of putting the blog site in the comment box. Thanks for bringing this up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy Pinterest too but don't really care for repins. I always try to go to the source first. Sandy does have a great idea about putting the blog site in the comment box. You can pin from me too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't do much with pinterest but I agree with you. My pictures aren't the greatest either--- but I don't have to TRY to make them that way. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What I like about Pinterest is that it does link back to the website. Nothing is stolen and I can refer back when I need too. No more bookmarks to search through to find something. While I respect copyrights and don't want to infringe on them, I think it's an overused excuse to be selfish and alienate yourself from everyone else.

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for taking the time to comment, they feed my blog. i do my best to reply to each and every one! you can bet your comments are ALWAYS read and appreciated.